:: About This Blog ::

This a special blog regarding my life... read with discretion. Some might not like what I say.. some would cherish it as words of wisdom. For me, these are the words of my experience.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

After 6 hours...

Phew!!! Managed to reconstruct 1/2 of the server functions. It was no easy task. The Active Directory keeps fumbling with all sorts of errors. My back-up server was an old Win2K. It didn't connect very well with Win2003. But after a few trial and errors, i managed to find a trick to fool the system into believing it's a PDC and overwrite the old configuration.

The second problem was Oracle 9i. The enterprise edition was very fussy about it's settings and with the scarce documentation that I had with me. I set about to re-install the whole thing instead of trying to salvage whatever i can from the old back-up tape. Fortunately for me, there was a system snapshot of the old config so that I have at least a way to revive the database.

The third problem was with the ApacheTomcat installation. The provided documentation was totally different with what my system was configured. So with what little I have on my hands, i changed the whole lot of the XML files to suit the system need.

Well.. things to do:-
1) Optimize and tweak the system for peak performance.
2) BACKUP! Backup! backup!
3) Harden the security of the system to prevent my stupid apprentice from fumbling with the system.
4) Claim exorbitantly for the service so that it could pay my trip to Europe (i wish*)

Hahahha... 6 more hours to go

No comments: