:: About This Blog ::

This a special blog regarding my life... read with discretion. Some might not like what I say.. some would cherish it as words of wisdom. For me, these are the words of my experience.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

My Computer


Okay I know it's lame to brag about one's own PC. But this machine has served me well and I am proud of it coz I built it with my own 2 hands. Up-to-date, i currently have 2 PCs. One running on Windows XP and the other on Linux Fedora Core 4.

Here are the specs:-
PC1 (win XP)
- Intel Pentium 4 - 1.7Ghz - Overclocked to 1.8Ghz ( with Intel Xeon 2.4Ghz as backup)
- 1 DVD Combo Drive, 1 CD-Writer
- Nvidia Geforce 5200 - 256MB RAM - AGP
- 15" LCD Display - HP 1502
- 1GHz DDR RAM
- 3 Harddrive (160GB Maxtor, 2 x 120GB Maxtor = Total 300GB).
- 1 External HDD (80GB IBM) - for backup

PC2 (Linux)
- Intel Pentium III - 553Mhz
- ATI Rage 8MB PCI
- (no monitor)
- 40GB HDD

The primary PC1 is used for all my work and stuff (surfing the net, e-mail, video editing etc)
The secondary PC2 is for proxy, website development, code experiments etc.
PC2 has no monitor since I prefer to use linux via remote which is faster than using the conventional KDE/GNOME GUI.

In all these years, I have technically owned 6 PCs. Starting with a modest AMD 486 - 100Mhz with a green monitor (coz I couldn't afford a a display monitor). The monitor was a hand-me-down screen from the matriculation computer lab. 8MB memory was the in-thing at that time. DOS 6 was the only thing it ran. I found the motherboard which someone has thrown away. Fixed it up and it works. Walla.. my 1st PC. Bought a printer EPSON LQ-100 (money shared with my roomates) for thesis typing purposes.

The second PC was a Pentium 1 - 133Mhz. I bought the parts bit by bit from the extra money I had when I was working part-time when I was a student. It was running Windows 3.11. I gave this away to my brother as he badly needs it for this studies.

By this time, the third PC was in the making. It was an Intel Pentium 1 MMX - 200Mhz. The processor was a thing of beauty with a black encasement. This one ran Windows 95. It has a Sound Blaster 16 Card. Someone stole this machine when I was moving to a new house in Serdang.

Fortunately, when the 3rd PC was gone. I was already using the forth PC was an AMD - 300Mhz. Running at a 75 Mhz FSB. I had a copy of Windows 97. I also added a TV card so I can watch TV from my room. An El-cheapo Sound Forte 16 card. I traded this one away to a friend for some networking parts (a 16 port 10/100 3com hub etc etc).

My fifth PC was Pentium II - 350Mhz. Running on Windows 2000. Later I upgrade the processor to Pentium III - 550Mhz. Bought a CD-Writer for this one. Added a Sound Blaster Live Card. It had a Geforce 4 card. Later this was stripped down to make way for the sixth PC. But I still retain this one as my Linux machine.

My sixth is a Pentium 4 - 1.7Ghz. Initially I planned to built a dual processor machine. But due to budget constraint, I use only one processor. It's my current one running on Windows XP. Added an Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers. It had an internal display, NIC and sound card. But I added the Sound Blaster from the old machine coz it just sounded better. Later added a Geforce 5200 card for 3D gaming purposes.

It was a love and hate relationship. I had many sleepless nights trying to get all the components running. Installing and re-installing software after each hard-disk crash. There were many things added/removed/borrowed/never-returned. But overall it has served me well and I'm already preparing for my seventh PC as we speak.

Who knows, it might be a Pentium Duo with a Mac OS Tiger inside.

No comments: